Should I Just Plead Guilty and Get This Over With?

Criminal Defence » Articles » Should I Just Plead Guilty and Get This Over With?
By Published On: March 2, 2011

While pleading guilty may seem like the best option and the one that will get your criminal case over with the quickest, it is not necessarily the best choice.  If you are facing criminal charges, you should not plead guilty until you have had a thorough review of the case against you and you have received legal advice from a criminal lawyer.  Do not be hasty in offering a guilty plea until you have all of the facts of the case and investigation.

Even if you think you are guilty, or perhaps others are telling you that you are guilty, the disclosure may reveal otherwise.  Also, your criminal defence lawyer may advise you otherwise as well, depending on what the evidence and circumstances of the case reveal.  For example, the evidence collected by the police may not be admissible against you in court.  Until you know all of the details of the case against you, you should not enter a guilty plea.  You don’t want to plead guilty when there may not even be a legal case against you.

The most important thing you should do before you think about pleading guilty, is seek the advice of an experienced criminal defence lawyer.  A good criminal lawyer will work for you which means he or she will have your best interests in mind.  Other lawyers or the police involved in the case have their own jobs to fulfill, while your criminal lawyer’s job is to provide you with a good defence and options.  Your lawyer will review all of the details of your case and will advise you on whether or not you should plead guilty.

Rather than making the decision to plead guilty under the impression that it will end your case sooner and to your benefit, speak with a lawyer.  The specific circumstances of the allegations and the evidence revealed in the disclosure will help your lawyer advise you about the best course of action.

Call Now Or Send a
Message to Get Help.


Call Now (613) 699-8192