OTTAWA CRIMINAL DEFENCE LAWYER – Some of the individuals who come into my office seeking legal counsel are facing charges for fraud, which is a serious Ontario criminal offence. This offence can be defined as gaining money unlawfully through deception.
Possible fraud convictions in Ontario are split into two categories, depending on how much money was involved in the alleged fraud incidence.
- If you are convicted of fraud over $5000, an Indictable Criminal Offence as outlined by the Criminal Code of Canada, you could be sentenced to up to 14 years in prison.
- Fraud under $5000 can be an Indictable Offence under the Code – punishable by a prison sentence of up to two years – or it can be a summary offence, resulting in fines.
Serving time in prison for a fraud conviction would have a significant impact on your life and the lives of your family members. This kind of conviction is something you want to avoid at all costs, by fighting the charges against you.
Do I need a criminal defence lawyer to help me fight these charges?
The answer is yes. Crown prosecutors sometimes have difficulty proving guilt in these cases, so there is often a chance of successfully having your charges dismissed. A number of defences – for example, proving a lack of intent to defraud, or challenging a search warrant – can be employed in order to fight the fraud charges against you.
The reason most people hire a lawyer to help fight fraud charges – and so should you – is that an average person does not have the specialized training and experience to make these complex legal arguments.
How do I go about finding the right criminal defence lawyer for my Ontario fraud case?
Choosing the right criminal defence lawyer to fight your white-collar crime charges should involve a lot of research. Investigate lawyers’ websites thoroughly to get an idea of how knowledgeable they are on the subject. Here are three things to keep in mind:
- Does the lawyer have testimonials and case results verifying past wins in fraud cases?
- Is the lawyer willing to share information on the subject (e.g. books, brochures, consultations)?
- Is the lawyer willing to represent me in any court across Ontario?
With the right lawyer, you could get your Ontario fraud charges dismissed – and avoid having to pay fines or spend time in prison.
Have you been charged with fraud in Ontario? A top criminal defence lawyer can give you the advice you need to fight your charges. For more information, contact the Ottawa lawyers at Auger Hollingsworth by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (613) 699-8192.