The Canada Revenue Agency detects and reports possible income tax evasion activity in Ontario. They accomplish this by conducting audits and investigations on tax returns and reviewing documents that the Agency feels might be false.
False Tax Documents: Three Methods of Manipulation and Non-compliance:
- Income is understated in order to reduce income tax payment levels.
- Income goes unreported, even though it was allegedly received by the individual.
- Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) is not remitted even though it is owed.
If the Canada Revenue Agency flags your tax returns, their next step may be to audit or investigate you for tax evasion activity. While there may not yet be any criminal charges at this point, it is crucial that you seek the help of a top criminal defence lawyer sooner rather than later.
Wondering why you need a lawyer even though you haven’t been charged? Here are a few good reasons:
- You need the help of someone who thoroughly understands the Agency’s guidelines, practices, and structure, and who has experience dealing with them: Your objective at this point is probably to clear yourself of any involvement in a tax evasion scheme. I must emphasize that this is not something you are equipped to do alone – the Agency’s structure and methods are complicated and you might even accidentally say something that hurts your situation. Let a top criminal lawyer deal with your charges early on and on your behalf.
- It’s always smarter to start building your defence as soon as possible: Don’t lose valuable preparation and fact-gathering time by waiting until you have been charged – get a lawyer who can help you figure out what information is necessary, and help you start to gather that information immediately. You and your lawyer can use these facts and evidence to defend yourself if you are eventually charged.
- A lawyer understands your specific tax evasion case: A top criminal defence lawyer knows the rights you are entitled to when being investigated by the CRA and can ensure your rights are protected. Without proper legal representation, your rights may be violated without you ever knowing it.
If you are being audited or investigated by the Canada Revenue Agency, choosing the best criminal lawyer to represent you is an important decision. For more information, contact the Ottawa white-collar crime lawyers at Auger Hollingsworth by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (613) 699-8192.